Thursday, October 23, 2014

Farther into Part I

 
     



     While I am writing, I keep thinking about how we spent Christmas. I just cannot find the words to tell you how much I loved that holiday. Sometimes, when I think of the way I felt then I get tears in my eyes; not because of gifts, we never got anything much. I remember one Christmas I received a ten-cent book and a tin rake and shovel, they were about six inches long; I would lie on my bed face down with my head hanging over the side and make believe I was a farmer, and rake on the wooden floor. I read the book and was happy to receive it.

Before I go any further, I will say a few words about the way we observed our Christmas. Weeks before the holiday mom would make paper flowers, lots of them. Dad would make frames out of wire to fit the frames of the pictures of Saints that hung on our walls, when the flowers were complete, they were put around the frames dad made and put on the pictures. Dad would then hang a wire holder from the ceiling, in the holder he would put a glass filled with cooking oil, on top of the oil a wick was put to float, he would then light the wick and it would stay lit for days. The house would then be cleaned from top to bottom, I mean everything was cleaned, all the curtains the floors scrubbed we all helped. Mom would do all the cooking the day before Christmas, Christmas Eve; she would make many pastries and a seven-course dinner all of which were made of grains. Dad would go outside, get some hay and place it under the tablecloth in the center of the table, to formed a little mound, just in back of the mound he would place two candles and a cross. At dinner time the candles were lit and mom would serve the food one course at a time. She would then sit down and we would eat a little of that dish, and again she would get up take that dish away and bring another dish, we would eat a little of it and this went on until all seven dishes were served; it was always such a nice meal. After dinner, nothing had to be done or could be done, as the day was Christmas Eve the holiday of holidays and we could not touch a broom or do any work what so ever. I remember it was such a warm feeling; Christmas was the best time in my young life because at home it seemed that there was peace in every ones heart. The day represented Christ; I think that was why everyone was mellow and kind. The next day, Christmas Day we would get up and there the Christmas tree would be, all dressed up with apples, oranges a few candies, dad had put hay under the tree as he always did. There was of course lots of food from Christmas Eve’s dinner. We all would go to morning service at church, and the church would be all-prettied up with flowers everywhere. The choir would sing Christmas songs and it just made one feel wonderful. Oh, I remember those days so well. We kids would lie under the tree with our heads on the hay, it would smell so nice under there, and so cozy we would fall asleep. In the evening dad would read to us from two old Polish books, they were both about six inches square and four inches thick. You see mom was unable to read so dad was elected. The stories were fun stories, mom would get a big thrill and enjoy them so very much, it was a wonderful way to spend Christmas day; I will never forget those Christmas days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment